Sunday 14 March 2010

Cinnamon can be dangerous





As I wrote in my previous post I am a real sucker for cinnamon and I use it with anything I can from rice pudding (in the non dieting times of my life) to cottage cheese.
But recently I found out that cinnamon in too big doses could actually be dangerous for you. Some sorts of cinnamon are containing something called Coumarin which can be toxic to the liver and has been banned from numerous countries since the mid 20th century.

This should not put anyone off from eating cinnamon, only warn people who likes cinnamon a bit too much (like me) that there can be side effects to it.

Some of the more common side effects that have been documented from eating coumarin is:
*Unusual bruising
*Bleeding
*Blood in the urine
*Blackened stools
*Diarrhoea
*Rash
*Hair loss
*Feeling or being sick

But like I said, there is no need to be alarmed as long as you eat moderate doses of cinnamon. In fact around half a teaspoon a day can be good for you.

But since I took my passion for cinnamon a bit too far and ate it with my egg milk twice a day and quite a lot of it since I like it when there's a lot of flavour I decided to try out some new flavours.
I swapped the butter in the egg milk for creamed coconut to give it a hint of coconut and in half of it I added cocoa and it was lovely.
On paper cocoa contains a bit more carbs that I would've wished for (a bit over 13 grams/100 grams) but in this case that's nothing to worry about as you use so little of it.
I used the Black and Green's organic cocoa and it was great as it's so strong you only use a tiny bit of it.
The other half of the batch I left as it was with only the coconut flavour. I must say I prefer the chocolate one but that is because I like it when I can feel distinct flavours. The coconut flavoured one was nice, just a bit too little flavour but there is coconut flavouring to buy although I haven't tried it.

The only negative thing I found about this version of the drink was that when I tried reheating it on the stove this morning the coconut ended up as little flakes. But as the drink itself isn't as thick as the cinnamon one it is easier (and very nice) to drink cold.

1 comment:

  1. Whoa! I think I have to cut back on the cinnamon now..

    ReplyDelete

All comments will be moderated.

I retain the right to delete comments of an unsuitable nature.

This blog conforms to Blogger's Content Page